Sunday, November 9, 2008

Friday 30 May 2008 - Snorkelling Sullivan's Bay

OK.
This is the same day. But it was such a completely different experience it needed its own entry.

Following our walk across the alien landscape of the Sullivan's Bay lava flow we had the opportunity to go snorkeling.

Now this was the second snorkeling experience of the trip. And I was still a little annoyed that I was unable to organise a proper SCUBA dive.

I had spent holiday funds doing my SCUBA course shortly before I left Sydney in the hope that I would be able to go diving and see hammerhead sharks, whale sharks, marine iguanas grazing on submarine algae, and the great variety of marine life that these islands support.

Sadly, there was not time. Nor qualified guide.

So, a poorly fitting mask and borrowed fins would have to make do.

After the previous day's experience I figured there would be the same vast array of fish.

Within minutes and metres of the coast, while I was still adjusting my ill fitting mask - there was my first shark!! A six foot white tipped shark!

All my life I have entered the water with a fear lurking in the back of my mind. Fear that a shark would suddenly appear.

Here in the strange and unfamiliar waters of the Galapagos within minutes of entering the water, such a creature appeared within a few feet of me!!

The fear that I expected never occurred. My reaction was one of amazement and curiosity and awe. We swan after it to get a closer look!!! Ironically the shark had to swim away from us!!!

I wish I had photos!

This swim was not finished with wonders. Not only did the same familiar schools of fish dominate the environment, but suddenly we were in the company of Galapagos penguins!! Darting around us in chase of small fish, like torpedoes with a singular aim at tiny silver things darting through the water before us.

If you want to visit the zoo, do so. If you want to be in the middle of all the animals - come to Galapagos!!!

The swim ended all too soon. I was hoping for more sharks, more penguins, more sea lions, more fish!!! And I would be rewarded later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home